Thursday, February 16, 2012




RMA  SANDHURST

Sandhurst got progressively easier as you progressed through each term although one was always vulnerable to the vagaries of the senior intake who had the capacity to make life difficult for you if they chose to do so .

Providing you looked after your equipment and kept on top of things you had the time to enjoy what Sandhurst had to offer . Weekend passes increased when you got into your second year .

There was a lot of emphasis on sport . I played rugby for New College and if they were short the permanent staff team the Pirates . In the summer I did a lot of canoeing on the Thames in preparation for the Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race . My partner was John Bonnel who later joined The Royal Military Police . As we canoed through the night I sometimes wondered why we were not going straight .I was in the front and as John was in the back he controlled the rudder . He had fallen asleep--not surprising his nickname was " kipper ".

Rugby saved my life or so it seemed. I was selected to box for Gaza Company. Having never boxed in my life I was not all that keen but you simply did not refuse .Well the week before I was due to box I watched this enormous Rhodesian thrash this really tough New Zealander. I was the next to get in the ring with this giant . At least it would be over quickly in about three minutes I would be in hospital .

Well on the Sat before my demise New College played the American Embassy at rugby .During the match an American kicked me in the eye & I had to have four stitches . On the Mon we all had to go for a medical before the boxing match . The Academy doctor refused to let me box with stitches in my eye . God bless America !

There were various clubs you could join which met in the evenings .I took up judo for a bit and joined the History Society .

Military training was mixed with academic studies like ; Science and Warfare ; Military History & Current Affairs. Sometimes wonder why did we not do three years and get a degree at the end. It is totally different now as the majority of cadets have got a civilian degree before entry and the course at Sandhurst is just one year .

They say never volunteer : well I did for a survival course in Scotland. I think that can wait till the next blog.


1 comment: