Thursday, February 2, 2012

REGULAR COMMISSIONS BOARD (RCB)

Having decided to have a go at getting to Sandhurst, Peter Jopp my friend in the CCF decided he would also try. Unfortunately my other friend ,Gordon Imrie , did not pass the medical . They discovered he had a heart problem . However, five years later I linked up with him on a course and he had got a Short Service Commission in the RHF .

After our last CCF Camp at Cultybraggan  Peter and I headed south to attend the Regular Commissions Board (RCB) in Westbury  , Wiltshire . First we went to a large CCF Parade in the grounds of Buckingham Palace and then spent the weekend in a Boy Scout Hostel in London . Unfortunately for us the tube on the underground broke down and we missed our scheduled train to Westbury. Arriving late did not seem like a good start.

RCB is essentially a four day extended interview : Douglas knows the score . There were essays to write , written appreciations , current affairs test ,obstacle course , command tasks , and lots of interviews.

The trickiest interview was with a lieutenant colonel in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers . After all the usual questions like : why do you want to join the Army ; what makes you think you can be an officer and what does Daddy do ; he suddenly said " what stirs you emotionally ." I thought this is the trick question. You are not meant to get married till at least 25 so don't say girls on the other hand he might get the wrong impression . I said " a massed pipe band " He continued with "what else " so I explained I had watched Derek Ibbotson almost win the mile record at Glasgow Police Sports in Ibrox ."Why did you find this emotional was the next question . I responded with national pride. "why do you hesitate was  his riposte .Ibottsons English I said in all innocence . This did not go down well. However, not to be outfaced I ventured ( knowing he was in a Welsh Regiment ) " Sir, surely you would not support England at Cardiff Arms Park ?" He responded I am English.

I thought this interview is not going at all well :bye bye Sandhurst. The strange thing was that some general was sitting in an armchair behind me and seemed to find it all very amusing .

Peter and I headed back to Scotland to await our fate.We had been told the results would be sent by post and we should get them within four days .

On the fourth day (Mon) I was due to go to the farm .I took a gamble on the Sunday night and went to the Post Office Depot in a lane just off Byres Rd . The man in charge listened to my story and agreed to have a look .Eureka--he handed me this official looking envelope.As I walked along this narrow lane I was almost too nervous to open the envelope. Nevertheless I did ; I had passed and was given a date to report to Sandhurst . Even today I find it difficult to express my total sense of relief .

Back home my mother seemed to take it in her stride .I phoned my best friend in the Scouts and he was really pleased .

On Monday I headed off to the farm but before I went I rang Peter Jopp .He had failed .It was difficult to console him . Later he tried RCB again but did not pass although through Glasgow OTC he got a commission in the TA .

At the farm I am not sure how Aunt Margaret took it .There is that Scottish syndrome "I hope he does not get too big for his own boots ! "

Years later when I was a Colonel I had an interesting conversation with a fellow Scot who was about to be the Chief Fire Officer for Birmingham on a substantial salary. Somehow I alluded to this syndrome. He knew exactly what I meant and illustrated his experience when he went back home to a little village near Aberdeen . He would often hear it said "Oh Willie became a fireman ." No recognition that he was a very senior fire brigade officer

As they say the highest praise you will get from a Scot is " Its nae bad ."

Before I left the farm I had to return for a day to go to a recruiting office in Glasgow to sign on . Although about to be an officer cadet you had to be a private in something .I became a Fusilier in the RHF .

I took my second oath of allegiance  "To The Queen and to those Ministers she may chose to appoint ."

I was a soldier .

Amazingly they gave me £25 for expenses and a weeks pay . I was rich .

No comments:

Post a Comment